Indian Journal of Burns

ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year
: 2021  |  Volume : 29  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 15--18

Epidemiological analysis of burn patients in Hospital Melaka, Malaysia


Mohd Tarmizi Mohd Said, Ilyasak Hussin, Izety Shezlinda Noran 
 Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Mohd Tarmizi Mohd Said
Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Hospital Melaka, Jalan Mufti Haji Khalil, 75400 Melaka
Malaysia

Background: Burn injury remains one of the most frequent public frequent public health concerns that are associated with significant morbidity and mortality. This study aims to understand the epidemiological profile of burn patients admitted to Burn Unit, Hospital Melaka between January 2016 and December 2018. Methods: A retrospective study was conducted to review burn cases that were admitted to Burn Unit, Hospital Melaka from January 2016 to December 2018. The epidemiological data of 241 patients were collected and studied. Results: The etiology of burn was determined: 230 (95.4%) thermal burns, 4 (1.7%) electrical burns, and 7 (2.9%) chemical burns. In 230 cases of thermal burn, 85 (37.0%) of accidents were caused by flames, 119 (51.7%) by scalds, and 26 (11.3%) by contact with hot objects. One hundred and eighty-nine (63.2%) of the patients were male, the remaining 110 patients (36.8%) were female. The female/male ratio was 1:1.7. The duration of hospitalization stay was 8 days. Mortality rate was 3.34% with 50% of deaths following major burn were due to sepsis with multiorgan failure. Conclusion: This study provides an overview on demographic features of burn patients admitted to Hospital Melaka.


How to cite this article:
Mohd Said MT, Hussin I, Noran IS. Epidemiological analysis of burn patients in Hospital Melaka, Malaysia.Indian J Burns 2021;29:15-18


How to cite this URL:
Mohd Said MT, Hussin I, Noran IS. Epidemiological analysis of burn patients in Hospital Melaka, Malaysia. Indian J Burns [serial online] 2021 [cited 2022 Jun 26 ];29:15-18
Available from: https://www.ijburns.com/article.asp?issn=0971-653X;year=2021;volume=29;issue=1;spage=15;epage=18;aulast=Mohd;type=0